Kingston Improvement Association

The Village of Kingston Rhode Island

Horse Wagon

The historic center of Kingston Village is on both the national and state Register of Historic Places, and it is further protected by the South Kingstown Historic District Commission created in 1959 to review “proposals for exterior alteration, new construction, repair, removal and demolition of buildings” in the historic area.

Kingston is one of some 11 villages in the Town of South Kingstown. It is governed by the South Kingstown Town Council made up of five members elected at the biennial November election.

The Kingston Potter Fund

The Kington Potter Fund is a legacy to the people of the Village of Kingston from a life-long resident, Mary LeMoine Potter.

The income from this trust fund is subject to distribution by the Rhode Island Foundation, in accordance with the wishes of Miss Potter. Her choice was to help organizations in her village if possible. She mentioned the Kingston Improvement Association and their care of Potter Memorial Wood among the organizations she wished to help.

To assist the Rhode Island Foundation in distributing the income from the trust, they appointed a Kingston Potter Fund Advisory Committee. Miss Potter died on December 10, 1938. The first Kingston Potter Fund Advisory Committee was appointed in 1942.

The Kingston Improvement Association received its first distribution of $575 from the Potter Fund in 1942 and has received funds every year since. An annual request is made to the Kingston Potter Fund Advisrory Committee.

Kingston Village Fairs

The Kingston Improvement Association sponsors the annual Spring Fair in the village on the third Saturday of May. Events include a book sale at the Library, tours of the Old Jailhouse, a plant sale by the Kingston Hill Gardeners as well as a craft sale at the Fayerweather House. The 2012 Fair will be held on May 19th.

The annual Winter Fair also sponsored by the KIA is held on the first Saturday of December.

Summer Picnic

Our Summer Picnic in Potter Wood is quickly becoming a village tradition!